All about my life as a mommy and an Air Force wife

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Adjusting

Overall, I think we've all done really well with the move. Hazen seems to be fitting right in with the guys from his shop, I've found some girls from church that I get along with, and Ian has made a couple of friends from church as well. We all enjoy the town, the house is great, the animals REALLY love the yard. But, some days, Ian has a hard time. On the third day of our four day drive, he had a complete breakdown. He told me to turn around, to go back to Pope (our last base), that he didn't want to go to Texas. He screamed and cried for a good thirty minutes, and I don't know how much longer it would have gone on had I not spotted a Dairy Queen sign on the road.

It's been four weeks now since we got to Texas, and he has done great with it...until last night. I had my first small group and Hazen had to work, so we brought Ian to his new friends' house (their parents are in the small group) to hang out with them and their sitter. He had a fantastic time while there, but the second we pulled out of their driveway the breakdown started again. He wanted to give one of the little boys a handshake (long story), so the fit started out being about that. But then it progressed into "I don't want my bed! I don't want my stuff in Texas! I want to go to Pope!"

It completely breaks my heart when this happens. I feel so badly for him. I know he's too young to understand what's going on, why we're here, why he has to make new friends. And once he gets like that, it's almost impossible to calm him down, we just have to ride it out until he feels better. It's a hard thing, being a military kid. I hope as he gets older, it gets easier for him. I know I used to get excited over our upcoming moves, to be seeing a new place. So I hope he starts to feel that way about it, too, one day. Until then, we'll let him pick the colors he wants to paint his room (even if I think they are awful!) and be here with extra hugs and kisses. Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment