All about my life as a mommy and an Air Force wife

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

It Was a Nice Run

16 months post partum, it finally happened...my first period. I am really not excited about it and I had convinced myself that since Little Miss is still nursing around the clock I probably had awhile to go yet. It's right on schedule for me, though, if not a little early (I got it at 17 months with Mister Man). So now we need to figure out what to do TTC wise. The plan has been to not prevent. I don't get pregnant quickly and easily anyway, so there didn't seem to be a point. The problem is, though, that for the first time ever we have a BIG vacation planned next summer, one that will last about 2 weeks sometime between mid July and mid August. So now we need to figure out what to do; do we do nothing and risk an ill-timed due date (as unlikely as we know that is, it could happen. Especially since my due dates LOVE to fall at difficult times)? Do we prevent for a few months to avoid the risk of having a newborn and/or me being too pregnant to travel? For most people this is probably a pretty easy decision. We could try this month and travel with a 1-2 month old. Not ideal, but not impossible. Then we could put it off for 3-4 months and try again. The difficulty for me, though, is that I have endometriosis. And the only thing that stops it from growing is pregnancy/not menstrating. So the fact that I am no longer either of those things means that the growth is going to start again and each cycle that goes by without a pregnancy will mean more growth and more trouble in the future. Hormonal birth control can help, but I'm breastfeeding and don't really like the idea of using a combination pill right now. So I don't know. I guess we have some big decisions to make. It seems silly to even think about it, really, since it took over two years to get pregnant with our current children, but I can't just pretend that no one has ever gotten a "surprise!" baby. Obviously we will be thrilled whenever it happens, but this vacation really is a very big deal and very important, for Hazen and the kids especially. I don't want to risk taking it from them. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment